Lock 1 North, located in the downtown city park of New Bremen, holds back the uppermost level of water at the north end of the 21-mile plateau of the Miami and Erie Canal. This plateau is called “Loramie Summit.”
The original Lock 1 North was built in 1845 constructed of white oak and was replaced with a concrete lock in 1910 which was one of the last lock construction projects during active use of the Miami and Erie canal. The current lock was fashion after the one in 1910 and was completed in 2007.
North west of the lock is the down town with the architecture reflecting the greatly expanded markets New Bremen had during the canal era when it was the center hub for grain storage and transportation . The area also became a major pork producer slaughtering up to 10,000 hogs per year which were shipped by canal boat.
Pictured is the oldest bow string girder bridge in Ohio, located just south of Lock 1 N. * The towpath trail at the south end of the park is made of crushed stone and extends to Minster, Ohio.